Monday, December 29, 2008

sniffles and sneezes

This post was actually for yesterday so here you go:

Last night I got into a fight with my parents... maybe fight isn't the right word. More like all of my frustration from the Army pushing my dates back on me is finally starting to catch up with me and it doesn't take much to set me off lately. Usually when I'm upset I just go for a run and it all melts away like sweat even though I really feel like I should be working on my sit ups and push ups more. Monday is the day that I'm hoping to finally do my interview and I still don't know if my ARMS test will be invalidated because of the time that's past or if it will still count because I would already be in MEPS if it weren't for the holidays. With New Years Eve on Thursday I just want to get this stuff over with witout having to do the ARMS test again because I don't know if I could do it without the motivation that the nurse who gave it to me last time provided. I guess I'll just have to ask my recruiter about it when I call her today. They said it would take me at least 4 months to lose the amount of body fat I was over healthily... so I really don't feel like waiting 4 months.

On a completely different topic, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this but I am an avid reader. For Christmas all I got were books.. haha. I just love reading. I read MASH on Christmas day and I loved it! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I love the movie and TV series as well. Yesterday I recieved a book I had ordered in the mail called My War by Colby Buzzell. I'm sure anyone who reads military blogs has heard all about him and quite frankly it's his blog that made me want to start my own. When I started reading his book I really connected with the fact that his life was going nowhere. I mean my post high school life was going nicely enough for a short time. I took classes, college was free, I moved out of my parents house. But things always fall apart and for him he wanted to do something "fun" for a couple of years and although I plan on being in the Army for a very long time, I still have that same longing to go into the war zone and get my hands dirty so to speak. I'm going to be a combat medic and although the idea of being in a hospital stateside administering sponge baths sounds like a dream come true, not, I would much rather be out there learning new techniques and helping save lives. I want to get into a good medical school and most of the other people my age who are trying for the same thing are out there doing research and shadowing docotors in their chosen specialty so I really should have something to put on my resume to show that I didn't waste my time by not applying for internships etc.
Another thing that's been on my mind lately is my family. With the economy the way it is I feel truly awful that I've been mooching off of them for so long. So to rectify this situation I'm going to be sending them part of my pay each month. Only a couple hundred dollars but still enough to help them out with bills which they are falling behind on and to give my youngest sister *who's 11* some of the same opportunities I had at her age. I was a prodigous musician and I went to all sorts of camps and weekend music festivals and played whenever I got a chance and I would think that she would like to go to a music camp or maybe even a soccer camp since she's been playing soccer forever. When I was in middle school my mom pulled every string for me and to this day she'll remind me that in 8th grade 2nd semester I was on 2 softball teams* rec league and travelling*, my school's soccer team, a soloist in jazz band, a singer in the elite singing group for the school, in regular band, and she kept me in the best clothes without missing a beat. I don't see why my sister can't look back in 10 years and say the same things about her middle school years. Of course nowadays its more about the technology instead of the sports but it doesn't matter to me as long as she's happy.
Well that's honestly about all I have to say so far today. I have a head cold that I can't shake and I'm hoping and praying for my interview and a quick trip to MEPS so wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. catie...This is my first visit to your blog. I thank you for what you are going to do for our country. Please know you have my respect and support. I will be back to read you again soon!

    ~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

    ReplyDelete