Wednesday, December 17, 2008

a repeat performance...

I blog extensively on Myspace so I decided that this would be fun to copy and paste here even though I don't know if anyone is reading this...


My recruiter picked me up from my house at 8 am to go to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) and on the ride there briefed me (explained to me) about everything that was going to happen. I was just going for my physical so I didn't have to worry about the job aspect of signing anything.. I just had to make sure I could pass my ARMS (Assesment of Recruit Motivation and Strength) and that would be all.

So I get to my recruiters office and they sit me down and explain about the fact that the doctors at MEPS are going to try everything in their power to DQ(disqualify) you. So that got me a little nervous but they explained everything and had me do two test runs to make sure I wouldn't be too nervous. The bus came to pick me up at around 11 ish (and by bus I mean a huge Dodge Durango) I had to sit up front because I was the only girl and there were two other people in the car with me, one going for the Marines and the other for the Army. Introductions were made and the key questions of the experience were asked; What are you going into? and What's your MOS( military occupational skills). Easy to answer but some people are still unsure of what they want to do until they sit down with their branch liason. So we were halfway to Georgia to pick up another kid when we got a call that we had left someone behind. So arrangements were made to where the kid would be taken to Valdosta to be picked up by the other shuttle. We went back and got the forgotton boy who was shipping out to the Coast Guard boot camp.(Incidentally I found out that the Coast Guard is the most selective of all branches and takes 24 people per term.) So then we were off to Jacksonville. It was a long car ride and the CG boy was keeping us all entertained and we just chatted about life.

When we finally got to the hotel *around 2* we had to sign a paper saying that while we were at the hotel that we would not do certain things *such as drink or do drugs* we also had to be in our rooms by 10. Apon signing the paper the very disgruntled man behind the counter handed over the key and explained we'd have to show the MEPS envelope they key was in to get the dinner and breakfast buffet.

So I went to my room. It smelled terrible! But I turned on the heat and sprayed my hairspray around to get the smell out. So I called my parents to let them know I was alive and in Jacksonville and at that point it was only about 3 so I had nothing to do for two hours. I decided I should walk down to an organic food store that I had seen but when I went to leave my roommate showed up. She was nice and going into the Army as well. It was her second time to MEPS so all she had to do was go for a consult and then sign her papers. She was nice and asked if I wanted to go to steak and shake to get something to eat. I hadn't eaten all day so I was definitely for that. We went talked a little and got our food to bring back to the hotel. From there she got on her phone and talked for like an hour while I ate and then watched Date my Mom. Finally she got off her phone and started telling me about her, where she was from, things that she was looking forward to. I told her the same things back and around 6 we decided to go check out the buffet spread to see if there was anything fruit like.

We got to the restaurant and sat down with some macaroni and cheese and pink lemonade and were joined by another girl who was going into the navy. *we'll call her navy girl for the sake of continuity* She was awesome. No lie, we had a ton in common and we hit it off but my roommate wanted to go make some more phone calls so she left and when she did we heard a guy talking very loudly about politics. That's always a big no-no in my book when you're trying to meet people but this guy was repelling everyone he was talking to so navy girl and I started making fun of him by yelling recession loudly. There were two guys sitting at the table next to us and they laughed and asked if we wanted to sit with them and since we were done eating we were like sure. Then it was decided that to pass the time we should get cards/ While one of the guys we met *both the guys were joining the navy so bear with me* went to get the cards, a man came up reeking of alcohol and sat next to navy girl and started hitting on him and being a jerk with his wedding ring shining brightly from his ring finger. He sat around trying to get the other navy guy to leave with him to go get a drink, when navy guy tried to come up with excuses to leave the man*we'll call him crazy guy* followed him around and wen't so far as to grab his butt and say "you ain't gettin no pussy tonight". Very awkward. Then we decided to play rummy so I was explained the rules and we invited the first navy guy's roommate to play so he did and then after the game NG1's roommate left we took a little break and crazy guy showed up *again* and took navy girls drink chugged it and with a "that's how we do it airborne" threw the glass down. He was drunk as all get out. I guess no one explained that one of the first tests they do is the breathalizer. So after that we invite a couple of new people to play cards and we play spades for a while which is fun but then we started talking and got more and more people involved and stopped playing cards. It is so nice to meet people and within 20 minutes be comfortable saying whatever to them. So the group I was with ended up being me, navy girl and 4 guys. We went got milkshakes then went back to the hotel to go to bed.

The next morning we were woken up at 5 am by a lovely phone call but I had woken up a little earlier. I got dressed and went to meet navy girl. After a wonderfully uneventful and inedible breakfast we got onto a charter bus and from there we were shipped to MEPS.

MEPS is a big white official looking building which makes sense you walk in there a civilian and walk out an enlisted member of the United States Armed Forces. So we get off the bus where we're told to form up. So we stand in lines and are quickly briefed about what we are going to do and then are separated into different components*shippers, applicants etc*. When I entered the building it was warm and I had to walk through a metal detector when we were then instructed to take off our outerwear and leave our bags in the cubbies provided then we were sent to sit in a room and wait to get our next briefing. We sat down and a Sergeant walked in and explained all about MEPS and what we would be doing. He then separated the Army people from everyone else. Then we went to get name tags and a blank medical file. *This is the point where I realized I left my Social security card and birth certificate with my papers and I need to get them when I go back to MEPS* After that we're put into the computer so that everyone knows that we're there and then shuffled down to the medcial area where we were again briefed about what to expect. After that we went to get blood pressure taken and the nurse let me know that my pulse was too high and if I didn't get it down that I would be dq'ed. So I went to get my vision checked and apparently I don't have 20/20 vision so they tried to figure out my prescription but couldn't so I had to go back there later. Then I went over to get my hearing checked but before I could start they said that the females had to go to get briefed for our physical so that we did.

We went through 3 doors to get to the room to be weighed and measured and then to give a urine sample. Because there were only 11 of us we all got along and talked and had a good time. After finding out I wasn't pregnant and didn't have kidney stones I got to go have my blood drawn. That wasn't bad then back to the room where all of us girls had to get down to our underwear and do 24 orthopedic motions to make sure we didn't have anything wrong. Once that was passed it was time to finish vision and hearing if you didnt and see the doctors if you did. So I went and found out that I'm near sighted... I don't go around reading things far away and it was never that bad so oh well. Then I found out that I have really good hearing. So then back to the back room to see the doctor and have every inch of me examined. Very awkward again but nothing's wrong with me so that works.

Then came the difficult part, the ARMS test. It's 5 minutes stepping up and down from a 12'' box at 120 bmp. If that sounds easy try it, my legs are still killing me. Then for females you have to complete 4 push ups which I did. When I passed I teared up because that meant that I would be physically qualified and that mattered the most to me.

Thus ended my physical and day at MEPS. Long day but it made me realize how much I will love the military. I go back to swear in and get a card so I can go onto military bases :] I'm very excited and I hope you enjoyed this .


That's about it :] I had a ton of fun and I'm still waiting for the Colonel to call :( but I will call my recruiter tomorrow to make sure I haven't missed her call.


I hope everyone's having fun and getting into a festive mood because I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment